Corruption infers a blatant disregard for honesty and ethics or principles. This accurately describes the behaviour of Ontario Premier Wynne.
She has a tin ear for the public’s concern about her decisions. These include, among other questionable ones, the sordid business in the Sudbury by-election last December; the sale of Hydro One; and the anguished concerns of many parents over her disreputable sex-education curriculum.
There is a reason why Ms. Wynne remains serene about any political fall-out. She has an incestuous relationship with the 100,000 strong members of the teachers’ unions in the province which are providing her with political protection.
• The teachers’ unions have poured $800,000 directly into the Liberal party’s coffers over the past decade.
• Members of the teachers’ unions are pressured to vote for the Liberals during an election and also indoctrinate the students to do so.
• The teachers’ unions have spent $6.5 million in the previous three provincial elections for vicious attack ads against the Progressive Conservative Party, the Liberals’ main political opponent.
In return the Liberal government:
• Over the past ten years has paid close to $66 million to the Ontario teachers’ unions for undisclosed reasons, according to Ontario Public Accounts.
• Provided teachers’ unions with rich pay raises, special treatment and secret benefits. In the 2015 negotiations, the Liberals gave $2.5 million secretly to the unions for their collective bargaining costs without demanding receipts. The lack of necessity for receipts was subsequently reversed under pressure when this secret payment was disclosed by the media. Documents obtained under the Access to Information Act reveal that the Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation (OSSTF) has a $65 million reserve to be used for collective bargaining purposes, no longer needed due to the Liberals’ generous payouts.
This cozy relationship between Ms. Wynne and the Ontario teachers’ unions has been carefully kept from public view until now.
Clearly, the Liberals will do or say anything to protect their self-serving relationship with the teachers’ unions. With the unions’ support, Ms. Wynne is free to do anything she wishes, secure in the knowledge that the teachers’ unions’ vicious ads will protect her fully in the next election and return her to power regardless of her corrupt behaviour.
– 30 –